Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Top 30 Before 30

I read a magazine article once about Mandy Moore and she talked about her “to do” list before she reached a certain age. From it I got the idea to do a “Top 25 Before 25” to do list and now since I’m past the age of 25 I’m working on my “Top 30 Before 30” list. It’s a silly list really, it includes dumb sh*t, like learning to fry chicken and real sh*t like getting a promotion. I have leftovers from my Top 25 list, I’ve never danced on a bar before and I haven’t had the chance to ride a mechanical bull, but I can now rock a miniskirt and I finally got that picture with Mickey.

It’s just a fun list to do and it helps with setting long term goals and creates life experiences. One of my Top 25 items was to study abroad and I got the chance to study at Cambridge in the UK. I wanted a promotion and got a raise and a good reputation. I also wanted to wear a miniskirt and now I can’t get out of them. My Top 30 Before 30 list includes:

1. Get some real furniture (i.e. some ish I can sell if timed get hard)
2. Become an expert in my field (i.e. finish the CSEP certification process or at

least the certificate program)
3. I still don’t know how to fry chicken
4. Learn to network without a serious pep talk before hand
5. Create a signature dish
6. Purchase a designer bag, the fancy stuff (Gucci, Marc Jacobs, etc) I need to

save for it for no credit cards
7. Sunbathe in Madrid
8. Kiss a dolphin
9. I need to learn to swim
10. Wear a tuxedo


I don't include stuff like get married or have some babies because it's all about the timing and they require things out of my control. It's a set-up for faiure if it doesn't happen. I've learned to set real goals, not like the one I set in eight grade, "To be taller." I haven't made it to 5"2.