Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Did That (October)

I’m late again, but so what. It’s not like anyone is waiting for me anyway. In September I was looking forward to:

- My B-Day (25 and still fly!)
- Ne-Yo's new album The Year of the Gentleman (Ms. Independent is about me, right?)
- My UGG boots (so comfy)
- My hairline to grow back (just say no to headbands!)
- Miracle at St. Anna
- The Secret Life of Bees

Well l had a good birthday. I’m learning not to put too much on landmark celebrations because it could A. not turn out the way I expected or B. I miss the small things leading up to the event. Sometimes it’s both. I received many Birthday Wishes, I had a successful event and I did exactly what I wanted, nothing! Twenty-five is going to be a good year. I feel like I am finally finding my swagger in regards to my personal style, my career and how I communicate. I am officially a ‘grown up’ that whole 18-24 thing is for the birds (just kidding).

Ne-Yo’s album is really good way better than the last one, but me and Ne-Yo aren’t getting along right now. I’ve always been a fan of Ne-Yo’s music and appreciated his honesty in his song writing and his interviews. Oh yeah, and I never questioned his sexuality even after the photo below, but after that whole “light skinned babies are the cutest” comment (YouTube it). I am officially repulsed. It’s 2008, right? Sure he wrote “She Got Her Own” about me and “Single” is my jam, but I am finished supporting self-hating negroes who don’t like “dark butts.”

BTW John Legend has a great CD too. I know JL doesn’t like dark butts either, but “Green Light” is my jam too. Ok I am no longer paying money to see these fools cause nobody really makes money off of album sales anymore.

My Uggs are still so comfy, but it hasn’t been cold enough to wear them just yet and my hair line never really left. I was just paranoid.

Miracle at St. Anna was a true WTF? movie. The cast was gorgeous (Derek Luke, Michael Ealy, and Laz Alonzo), but the movie was too long, one of the characters got on my first and last nerves, and what exactly was the miracle? I can see where Spike was going with this, but he missed the mark. With a little more character development and a lot of editing this could have been a good movie. I have nothing to say about the plot because um, yeah. Here is the official web site if you’re interested: http://miracleatstanna.movies.go.com/

The Secret Life of Bees was just like the book and the Queen did a fabulous job as matriarch. Jennifer Hudson did just as expected, poorly. I’m not a fan of J-Hud she is not a good actor at all she brought a sense of laziness to her character who was already written to be simple minded. I did not like the way that some of the characters were being portrayed as too prideful which led them to do things that I believe were stupid. There is a difference between standing up for yourself and doing things add fuel to the fire and getting yourself hurt for no reason. In one scene the sidekick negro spit tobacco on a white man’s shoe. The movie is set in the south during the early 1960’s. She then found herself beaten, bruised and running from the law. Did she know they could have killed her? Alicia Keys did not do a good job either. Can this whole singer/actor thing be put to an end? More about this movie can be found at: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thesecretlifeofbees/