Monday, August 3, 2009

Shuckin and Jivin at it's Finest


So I got this video from Bossip and it's so sad, but true. The sight of anyone in blackface hurts me to the core and the fact that hip-hop is a modern day minstrel show hurts even more. Sure the little dances are cute, but the messages and lyrics are deplorable. And Soulja Boy did not kill hip-hop. He is a product of it. He is a product of that bullshit ice rap. That shit was already dead. Soulja Boy is doing exactly what he was programmed to do. Frankly, I don't think it's fair the way the adults in the industry and outside go so hard on him.

I admit Soulja Boy does know better, but I think he doesn't know how to be man enough to do better. Watching the video I knew that this is where we're headed, complete exploitation. The worst part is that the cats that'll do it won't even know that the are doing it or the history behind it. Last year didn't Justin Timberlake refer to Paul Pierce as shuckin and jivin? He didn't mean any harm, but that shit hurt. I don't think we'll let it go that far. My take is that some people are tired of the coonery already, but I can almost guarantee that some fool will have the entire committee bowing in shame. Twista already pushing it with "Will You be My Daddy."