Friday, November 12, 2010

Rudeness is for Losers

I’ve come to the conclusion that some people just like to fight and argue. It’s their hobby, their story for the day, it’s just who they are. Some people like to be insanely rude for no reason. I find this quite sad. I hear people recant stories with pride about how they had to “go off” on lady who cut in front of them and how they, the baddest b*tch, will tell it like it is and put anyone in his place. But what do they really get out of it? Are these people really “winners” in life? No.

Recently, a homely co-worker sent me an e-mail in regard to a project. Later at the printer she asked me about it. “Did you get my e-mail?” I hate e-mails, but that’s another post. The e-mail was about a project that I wasn’t project manager on, but I knew where to get the information she needed.


“So and so is the project manager, but the information should be on Web site.”


“It’s not on the Web site. Somebody told me you did the project.”


Now she needed the sponsorship information for an awards ceremony I helped with in September. I’m not responsible for the details I just helped with set-up and registration, but I did know that every event program book lists the sponsors, duh. The information was and still is on the Web site too.


I said, “That’s so and so, but,” and she turned on her heels and walked away without a word. I was going to go and get a copy of the program book, but did I? Hells no and now she doesn’t have an ally in me at work. And she didn’t get what she needed. Now I could have just gotten the program book, but as a new employee I thought it was important for her to know who the project manager was in case she had additional questions.


Wednesday, I went to exchange a net book purchased online at the Best Buy. “It’s a 15% restocking fee,” said the customer service rep at the store, smugly. I called customer service that morning and they informed me of the procedure, but didn’t mention a restocking fee. I could have turned into Tasha Mack. Instead calmly, I told her what the customer service rep told me. She went on with all these questions, she was training a new employee I guess, but her attitude expressed that she wanted a “story” from me. Long story short, customer service at Best Buy sucks, but I left with my full purchase price and Ms. Thang didn’t get her rise. I think my calm demeanor surprised her and she had to waive the fee.


Lesson, get what you want/need first then go ape sh*t.