Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So you wanna reply?


I hate e-mails like really, I do, but can’t live without them so below I’ve composed a list of Do’s and Don’ts IF you want a reply from me.
1. Do include a salutation. Not greeting someone is just rude, now if this is second or third e-mail in one day no greeting is necessary, but whenever you make initial contact especially early in the morning, say hello.

2. Don’t e-mail me at 8:30 a.m. and expect a reply by 8:35 a.m. I don’t even get to work until 9:15 ish. Besides e-mail isn’t AIM, how pompous of you to believe I’m sitting at my desk waiting for instructions from you? Oh and if you call me and/or come to my office asking did I get your e-mail, it’s a wrap. You may as well be talking to a brick.

3. Do be concise. Tell me what you want from me in the first two sentences. You can leave more gibberish, eh detail in the rest of the e-mail. Long ass e-mails get placed in the follow-up folder.

4. Don’t copy my boss, your boss, the assistant and yo momma. I absolutely hate when someone “drops the ball” then in an effort to cover her ass sends an e-mail stating she’s been “trying to contact me” or “someone just gave her the project” yadda, yadda, yadda. You called 10 minutes ago and sent an e-mail 7 minutes ago, I’m on lunch break. FYI my first job was in banking so I live by CYOB (Cover Your Own Butt). I log when I called you, keep all e-mails and I always follow-up.

5. Don’t call me anything other than the name on my business card, Candace, not Candi, Candyhead or Kiddo.

6. Don't send one word e-mails. Just end with, Thanks. I can't stand an inbox full of "thanks'" and "OKs."

Thanks.