Thursday, November 19, 2009

I’ve got a new gratitude!

So it’s mid-November already. This year was good. I traveled some, saw some new things, copped some new ish, heck I even got a promotion; but lately, I haven’t been thinking of the things I want, titles and new ish, but I’m thinking of the missing piece. What is preventing me from that true peace and happiness they sing about? What is making me restless?

Imma keep it 100, get to the nitty gritty, the root of the problem, the heart of the matter. I’ve been ungrateful. Yes, ungrateful. I need to start to appreciate what I have and stop worrying about what I don’t have. Showing gratitude for what I possess would encompass investing and nurturing my god given talents and being confident that it’s good enough, good enough to be acknowledged, good enough to be respected, good enough to be shared. (BTW, when I say ‘good’ I mean ‘great’. I never do anything by half, that’s just whack. Though I may have trouble showing it, I strive for excellence.)

So this year, well next year my New Year’s Resolutions will look a little different. Instead of build the “Organizations” section of my résumé it will be do more for someone else. Instead on getting a designer bag it will be take better care of the things I already have.

So yes, my New Year’s Resolutions revolve around showing more gratitude, being more gracious.

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” --Melody Beattie